What type of Garden cultivator do I need?

Cultivation in the general sense of the word is agriculture itself, but within agriculture the word has a narrower technical sense referring to tillage, and most especially to controlled disturbance of the topsoil close to the crop plants to kill the surrounding weeds.

There are several type of cultivation:

Garden cultivators types : Small tilling equipment, used in small gardens such as household gardens and small marketable gardens, can provide both primary and secondary tillage. For example, a rotary tiller does both the “plowing” and the “harrowing”, preparing a smooth, loose seedbed. It does not arrange for the row-wise weed control that cultivator teeth would. There are single-person-push able jagged cultivators.

Hand Tiller:

Ideal for the small backyard gardener, a hand tiller, also called a three or four-tined cultivator, breaks up the soil with its small tines.


If you have a small to medium-sized garden, a pitchfork makes quick work of soil cultivating developments.

U-Bar Digger:

The U-Bar Digger has a simple design–long handles so you can stand upright–attached to digging tines at the handles’ base.

Wheel Hoe:

In the early to mid-1900s almost every garden had a wheel hoe. Today, wheel hoes have made a comeback with the rise in small farms and backyard gardens. Several distributors, including Johnny’s Seeds and Hoses Tools, list them. Walk-behind or push cultivators typically come with both cultivating and weeding attachments. They clean the weeds and aerate the soil between crop rows with minimal disruption to plant roots.


If you have a large garden project or hard, compact soil that makes cultivating by hand more of a chore than a fun project, a rototiller may be the right cultivating tool for you. Front or mid-tine rototillers work best for home gardens. You walk behind the tiller, and the tines move the machine forward. Never till too deep.